Friday, May 17, 2013

Star Trek Into Darkness

Review of Star Trek Into Darkness

Directed by J.J. Abrams. With Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Benedict Cumberbatch


Some days I think I'm too jaded. Yes, the special effects were super special. Yes, there was a fairly good plot. But I just wasn't feeling the love. I don't want to spoil anything for those who have yet to see it, but when something happened to make Chris Pine sad and angry, I wasn't feeling it. Later, when Spock was getting teary, I wasn't feeling it. My favorite character in the whole movie was Khan. I almost hated to see him taken down. (not giving anything away here) My second favorite was Scotty. (Simon Pegg) He is such a funny guy. I think once a movie reaches a certain threshold of special effects and explosions, my mind just goes numb. Desensitization, I suppose. (The same thing happened when I watched the Hobbit. I actually grew bored with it.) In my head I'm thinking, "yeah, yeah, that was cool, but let's get on with it already".

All that being said, I DID enjoy the movie and I will watch for the next installment. I smiled when they paid homage to the original series at the end. But if it tells you anything, if I really love a movie I will see it in the theater at least twice. (I saw Avatar six times in 3-D) And I won't be seeing this one again until it comes out on DVD.


Would I recommend it? Heck, yeah, it's Star Trek!


My Rating: 3 1/2 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment